Louisiana State Police Commission
Employment Info - Cadet Instructions
1. Two (2) years of experience as a Peace Officer Standards and Training (POST) certified peace officer in a full-time position, whose job duties include armed duty with the power of arrest (jailer/correctional officer experience does not qualify); or
2. A minimum of sixty (60) semester hours from an accredited college or university, (must attach transcript or degree); or
3. Any two (2) year combination of Options 1 and 2 above, whereby thirty (30) semester hours will be equivalent to one (1) year of experience; or
4. Three (3) years of continuous active military duty in the United States Military, (must attach a DD-214 or letter from current commanding officer verifying service), effective October 1, 2001.
Necessary Special Requirements:
- Must be able to read, write and speak the English language.
- Must possess a high school diploma or equivalency.
- Must be at least eighteen (18) years old at time of application.
- Must possess a valid Louisiana Driver's License at time of appointment.
- Must pass physical examination, and physical fitness test.
An applicant will be disqualified if there are any indictments or bills of information pending against him in which he is charged with a felony, or if he has been convicted within the past three (3) years of hit and run or driving while intoxicated. An applicant who has been convicted of a felony will be disqualified until relief from the disabilities imposed by the state and federal law is granted.
- Must submit to a drug screen and a risk assessment.
Any college hours or degree must be from a school accredited by one of the following regional accrediting bodies: the Middle States Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the New England Association of Schools and Colleges, Incorporated; the North Central Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the Northwest Association of Secondary and Higher Schools; the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools; the Western Association of Schools and Colleges.
False statements of any material fact, any attempt to practice deception or fraud will result in the Director rejecting your application and refusing to administer the examination to the applicant.[See State Police Commission Rule 7.5(a)8.]
NOTICE: ALL APPLICANTS WILL BE SUBJECT TO DRUG SCREENING AND INTENSIVE BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION.
|1.||DO NOT SUBMIT A RESUME INSTEAD OF THIS APPLICATION. SUBMIT ONLY ONE (1) APPLICATION.|
|2.||TYPE OR PRINT CLEARLY.|
|3.||If you need more space for an answer, you may attach extra sheets. Make sure your name and Social Security Number are on each extra sheet.|
|4.||If you do not answer all questions completely, your application may be rejected, returned to you or delayed several weeks.|
|5.||Your Social Security Number and Zip Code are essential pieces of information. Applications without this information cannot be processed.|
|6.||If appointed, you shall be required to submit satisfactory proof of your identity and/or legal authorization to work in the United States. Failure to submit this proof could prohibit your hiring under Federal Law.|
|7.||The State Police Commission accepts photocopies/scans of applications. If you submit a copy, be sure that you have correctly signed and dated the copy with the current date. Once submitted, your application and all attachments become the permanent property of the State Police Commission. The applicant if responsible for keeping a copy prior to submission to this agency. We cannot make copies of applications.|
|8.||If you require special testing procedures or accommodations, you must attach a description of the type of accommodations needed to the front of your application.|
|9.||An official transcript is required to verify college/university credits. To order a copy of an official transcript, the current/former student must follow the procedures established by the college/university. Official electronic transcripts can be sent directly to SPC staff: Christy.Cephus@La.gov or Debbie.Givens@La.gov|
|10.||Veteran's Preference in Hiring - To claim veteran's preference on this application, please check "Yes" on Item 8, page 1. Veteran's preference is granted to veterans who first achieve a passing score and were discharged honorably or under honorable conditions from the U.S. Armed Forces after serving during the following wartime periods:|
To claim veteran's preference, attach a copy of the DD-214 or other official records to your application. If you do not attach the required proof of service, preference will not be indicated. Disabled veterans, spouses of disabled veterans, un-remarried widows of deceased veterans, un-remarried widowed parents or divorced or separated parents of deceased or totally and permanently disabled veterans should complete and attach form SF-11 and supporting documentation for preference. If you are still serving in an "active" status, you may provide correspondence from your Commanding Officer, providing the information required for veteran's preference.
- July 1, 1958 through May 7, 1975, except the period July 1, 1958 through August 4, 1964, shall apply only to those who served within the area known as the Vietnam Theater; or
- served in a peacetime campaign or expedition for which campaign badges are authorized.
|11.||Instructions for Work Experience - This section is used to determine whether you qualify for the position for which you have applied. Your education and experience must clearly show that you meet the minimum qualifications stated above.|
DO NOT LEAVE OUT ANY WORK EXPERIENCE. It is especially important that you fill out the beginning and ending dates and the average number of hours per week worked for each job listed.
- Start with your first job in Block A and work forward, ending with your most recent or present position.
- Give brief but complete descriptions of your major work duties for each job listed. Estimate the percentage of time spent performing each duty, not to exceed a total of 100%.
- Attach a sheet of 81/2" x 11" paper to add additional jobs or information. Use the same format as the work experience blocks of the application.
- DO NOT attach resumes, performance appraisal, training records, high school diplomas or service ratings to your application. Present these only if requested.
- State Employees: Give dates and official classified title (not working title) for each job you have held, especially for progressive levels in the same series. We cannot accept preprinted job specifications in place of a description of your job duties.
- Law Enforcement Experience: In addition to listing the duties performed and percent of time performed, indicate whether your position included arrest powers
|12. ||If using certified mail, return the completed application, along with the requested attachments, to the State Police Commission, P.O. Box 66555, Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70896-6555.|
Last Modified: 12/27/2018