Louisiana State Police Commission
Download this rule
REQUIRED OR PROHIBITED ACTIVITY
14.1 Required Activity
Every classified member of the State Police Service shall:
(a) Assist the State Police Commission and/or its Director in effectively carrying out the provisions of the Article and Rules; and
14.2 Prohibited Political Activity.
(b) Answer truthfully, whether under oath or otherwise, all proper questions put to him or her by authorized representatives of the State Police Commission and/or its Director.
(a) Except as provided in subsection (b) (below), no member of the State Police Commission and no classified member of the State Police Service shall:
14.3 Other Prohibited Activity.
1. Participate or engage in political activity, including, but not limited to, any effort to support or oppose the election of a candidate for political office or support or oppose a particular political party in an election;
2. Be a candidate for nomination or election to public office;
3. Be a member of any national, state, or local committee of a political party or faction;
4. Make or solicit contributions for any political purpose, party, faction, or candidate;
5. Use or attempt to use his position to influence, punish or coerce the political action of any person, including a classified member of the State Police Service;
6. Take active part in the management of the affairs of a political party, faction, candidate, or any political campaign;
7. Take active part in an effort to recall from office an elected public official, or seek, solicit or attempt to influence or coerce any person, including a classified member of the State Police Service or of the State Police Commission, into participating in any such effort or attempt to influence or coerce any person into signing a recall petition; or
8. Directly or indirectly, pay or promise to pay any assessment, subscription, or contribution for any political party, faction or candidate, nor solicit or take part in soliciting any such assessment, subscription or contribution, and no person shall solicit any such assessment, subscription or contribution of any classified employee in the State Police Service.
(b) Prohibited political activity shall not include:
1. Seeking election as the classified state police officer serving on the State Police Commission;
2. Activity in support of or opposition to the election of the state police officer serving on the State Police Commission;
3. The exercise as a citizen of the expression of an opinion privately;
4. Serving as a commissioner or official watcher at the polls for any state or federal election;
5. Casting a vote in any local, state or federal election;
6. Except as provided in subsection (a) (7) (above), activity in support of or opposition to any referendum, including a tax referenda, amendment of the state or federal constitutions or issues involving bonded indebtedness; or
7. Signing a petition to recall from office an elected public official.
(a) Discrimination, as defined in Rule 1.14.1, is prohibited.
(b) No person shall be appointed or promoted to or demoted or dismissed from any position in the classified State Police Service, or in any way favored or discriminated against with respect to employment, because of his or her political or religious opinions or affiliations, race, sex, or membership or non-membership in any private organization.
(c) No person shall, directly or indirectly, give, render, pay, offer, solicit or accept any money, service or other valuable consideration for or on account of any appointment, proposed appointment, promotion or proposed promotion to or any advantage in a position in the classified State Police Service.
(d) No appointing authority, agent, or deputy thereof, or supervisor of any employee shall, directly or indirectly, discipline, influence, coerce or take any other action against any employee in the classified State Police Service for the purpose of influencing his vote, support or other political activity in any general or primary election.
(e) No person elected to public office shall, while serving in such elective office, be appointed to or hold any position in the classified State Police Service.
(f) No person shall be appointed, promoted, transferred or in any way employed in or to any position in the classified State Police Service under any class title which has not been approved by the Director as appropriate to the duties to be performed.
(g) No classified member of the State Police shall be appointed, promoted, transferred or in any way employed in or to any position which is not within the State Police Service.
(h) No payment for personal services of any classified member of the shall be made until the Director has approved the appointment.
(i) No person shall make any false statement, certificate, mark, rating, form or report with regard to any application, test, certification, personnel transaction, appointment or employment made under any provision of the Article or Rules of the State Police Commission, or in any manner commit or attempt to commit any fraud preventing the impartial execution of the Article or Rules.
(j) No person or appointing authority shall, directly or indirectly, persuade, induce or coerce or attempt to persuade, induce or coerce any prospective applicant or eligible to withhold filing an application or to withdraw from competition or eligibility for positions in the classified State Police Service for the purpose of either improving or diminishing the prospects for appointment of any applicant or eligible or prospective applicant or eligible. In addition to other penalties which may be imposed by the Commission, the Director shall cancel any and all applications or eligibilities of any person who violates the provisions of subsection (j) (above).
(k) No action shall be taken or authorized to be taken by any person without approval of the Commission or the Director, when such approval is required by the Article or the Rules.
(l) Unless otherwise stayed by the Commission, a court of proper jurisdiction or the provisions of the Article, Rules, laws or constitution, no person shall fail to comply with any order or directive of the Commission.
Click on the Word Icon to download in a Word format.
Last Modified: 02/05/2016